Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Slave or Son?


I have a problem with giving things away. I used to think I was just a nice person. Turns out, I'm probably not. I'm probably just sick. It's more of a guilt complex. If I'm out to eat with someone, I always feel like I need to pay.


(For those of you whom I have bought a meal, I truly wanted to bless you. No really.)


I can have NOTHING in my bank account, and I still (trying to hide my cringed look for making a bad decision) pay for meals.


Paying for dinner isn't my only weakness. I have bought plane tickets, given away my favorite clothes, jewelry, even considered letting a friend keep my dog once because she truly, truly loved him. Am I crazy? Uh, yeah.


In the past few months, I've been presented with a multitude of new life options. Options concerning my job, my love life, and the city I want to live in. They've all been great offers. But every time one has been presented to me, I think of friends who would be much better suited for the position, the man, the apartment, the city.


Yes. I have been on dates, girls, and thought of some of you as I sat across from handsome men who were there to wine and dine me.


I sat in an interview with the hiring producer at Good Morning America and thought of my sweet friend Laura who deserved this shot way more than I did.


I interviewed with my dream network and considered all of my DC producer friends who could take the job much more easily than I could.


I'm telling you. I'm sick.


After a few months of introspection on my "illness," I came up with one conclusion. I don't value myself the way others value me or God values me. How many of us are in that place?


A few weeks ago, I was reading Romans 8. I've read it so many times before, but this time, I picked up something new.


"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his Glory."


It reminds me of the Prodigal Son. The kid who took off with his inheritance, spent it and all wound up living with pigs. When he finally sucked it up and returned to his father, the first words out of his mouth were "make me one of your servants." The father looked at him like he was insane and said, "You crazy kid. You're my son. You will live like my son not as a slave."


So often, I walk around with my slave mentality. I don't think I deserve, and therefore I give up the awesome gifts God drops in my lap. I forget that I am an heir of God. What is His, the creator of the universe, is also mine!


I'm clinging to a new verse these days. Romans 8:32


"He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for all of us--how will he not also graciously give us all things."


God allowed his own son to die on a cross to inform me that I was valuable. That my life means something. That I'm not a slave. That I'm his child. His heir. And all that is His is mine.


How will he not also graciously give us ALL things. All things. That job. That salary. That hot man sitting across the table at dinner. God cares about the intricacies of our lives. He cares about what we care about. He knows the desires of our hearts. He values us. Maybe it's time we start valuing ourselves and expect it ALL.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I really see myself in this blog posting. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Tot to Teen to a truly Blessed and talented Young Lady......I've been privileged to have seen the journey. DIY, Tater, And that hot guy across the table better appreciate you or your Abba (Heavenly Father) will be dealing with them personally. :) I love you Sarah Seaton. Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good Sar! I've been reading Romans too and the reality that we have the resurrection power inside of us makes me want to walk around in the fullness. Girl, you have the fullness within you! You are a big deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Sarah... Thanks for writing this because it touched me in a lot of ways. I know you said, you thought of me when you wrote this and I think I read the "point outs" of me. -did that sound right... Anyway, being a early teen/single mom and still able to have a positive and encouraging look on life then to become an early "Gramme" I've had to really except those, "I know this is a better" decision. I "Thank You" for the scriptures you wrote- touching. I'm glad I'm on or in your path of prayers. d

    ReplyDelete